ROCKET ENGINE COMPONENTS
A tec manufactures component parts to exact requirements with close tolerances, exotic materials and processes. These liquid fuel engine components are assembled in our clean room and tested in our Cryogenic Flow Facility. Our cryogenic flow test plant is controlled with an Atec-designed DAQ and produces high volume flow of 1000 lbs @ 400 gpm, simulating a rocket firing at temperatures more than 300 degrees below zero. Liquid fuel rocket engines only get hot at the nozzle. Atec recently tripled the LN2 storage capacity of our flow testing plant to improve throughput and responsiveness. On the heels of our strong performance on the RL10 engine, Atec is now manufacturing critical components on the new AR1 and upgraded RS25 engines for Aerojet Rocketdyne.
Atec is a proud provider of valves to Aerojet Rocketdyne for RL10, AR1 & RS25 Programs.
Atec recently celebrated our 130th launch utilizing valves made by Atec. Our computer assisted quality efforts and manufacturing engineering improvements have aided the Rocketdyne team in boosting performance and maintaining 100% reliability for the RL10. Our commitment to failsafe deliveries has brought dozens of high level visitors from Congress, NASA, DOD, DARPA, USAF, ULA, Pratt & Whitney, Aerojet, Boeing, Lockheed, Space X, Orbital ATK, Raytheon, Blue Origin, Honeywell, GE and others to visit Atec. Cost reduction and innovation have dominated space exploration recently. We have joined Aerojet to comprehensively address improved affordability through production process improvements. Atec wants to offer world class quality and pricing. Our team is proud of the unique infrastructure we have developed at Atec for the crucial manufacture and test of the cryogenic fuel flow valves of the incredible RL10:
- Cryogenic LN2 processing and pumping plant with 10,000 gallon storage
- Cryogenic, automated flow bench capable of 400 gpm at 1000 psi for LN2 testing
- Helium leak detection test system
- Class 100 capable clean room for assembly & cleaning
- Contained, permitted Tri-Chlor (TCE) cleaning
- Climate controlled 5 axis CNC machining
- 6 axis CNC coordinate measuring inspection
- 18 years of data collection, supplier management, and process improvement
- Key personnel (20+) on our staff from program beginnings
- Voluminous jigs, tools, guides, notes, markups, interpretations, expectations, lessons learned, and tribal knowledge
We have delivered over 200 sets of completed valves including the LCROSS which imbedded the rocket in the moon. As part of the program’s specialized material control, Laboratory Control at Source Approval, serialized part control, and long-term record retention are required. All suppliers must pass a rigorous approval process to provide components for valve manufacture.
The long awaited flyby of the New Horizons spacecraft by dwarf planet Pluto happened in 2016. Launched in 2006 aboard an Atlas V rocket with Atec manufactured RL10 valves, it traveled for nine years and 3 billion miles to flyby Pluto.